VOLCANO: IAVCEI Commission on Volcano Geology

IAVCEI Commission on Volcano Geology
From: Gianluca Groppelli <gianluca.groppelli@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for cross-posting

During the IUGG Conference held in Prague in 2015 the new Volcano Geology commission has began the first steps. The aim of this commission is to promote postgraduate research in geological aspects of volcano studies, provide a forum for discussion among researchers on new developments in geological studies in volcanology, and encourage multidisciplinary research across the wide range of geological fields involved in volcanology. A special attention is given to the geological fieldwork and mapping in volcanic areas as the basis for detailed volcanological, magmatic studies, computational modelling and for understanding the behaviour of volcanoes and their future activity in terms of volcanic hazards (for active or recent volcanoes). In addition, the activity of this Commission will be to organise and promote regular field-based workshops, special sessions at major conferences and special volumes to encourage development of new geological approaches and tools toward improving our understanding of volcanic systems.

Currently, the Commission on Volcano Geology is lead by Gianluca Groppelli (gianluca.groppelli@xxxxxx) and Joan Martì (joanmartimolist@xxxxxxxxx)

In these days we are preparing the web site, even if only temporary because of the change of webmaster and IAVCEI web site. On this point, we are looking for a webmaster of the commission, when the new IAVCEI web site will be ready. We are waiting for nominations.

The main topics for next year that we would like to achieve are:
1)      preparation of a draft of the guidelines for mapping volcanic areas
2)   organization of the 3rd International Workshop on Volcano geology in Italy, probably from 3 to 10 July, 2016
3)  realization of the Volcano Geology commission website where to share documents and information, and create tools for discussions (mainly a mailing list, but other ideas are welcome)
4) arrangement of a special issue on topics of Volcano Geology
5)   collection and collation of web links to existing data bases
6)  strong link with other IAVCEI Commissions, particularly on Volcanic Hazards and Risk, on Collapse Caldera and on Monogenetic Volcanism.

We hope you can join and help the Volcano Geology to go in advance and to achieve the value that it needs in the volcanological sciences. In this case, please, send an e-mail to
gianluca.groppelli@xxxxxx

See you soon in the next workshops or sessions

Best wishes

Gianluca Groppelli and Joan Martì