VOLCANO: EGU 2016. Mass eruption rates – how can they be measured?

EGU 2016. Mass eruption rates – how can they be measured?
From: Sara Barsotti <sara@xxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

we are happy to announce you the following session at the next EGU2016 Assembly:

GMPV6.4
 Mass eruption rates – how can they be measured?
Convener: Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson
Co-Conveners: Sara Barsotti, Simona Scollo, Mark J. Woodhouse

The session is so described:

The rate at which magma is erupted largely controls the impact of both effusive and explosive volcanic eruptions. The mass eruption rate (MER) is, however, not easy to measure orand estimate, posing a limit to our capability in assessing the size of an ongoing eruption and its potential hazards. For past explosive eruptions plume height, and indirectly the MER, has been estimated from the magnitude, clast size and areal distribution of tephra fallout. For contemporary eruptions various methods exist using an array of instruments including radars, infrasound, infrared and visible cameras, electric sensors, satellite retrievals of ash loading and other remote sensing methods. Several algorithms and numerical models exist, linking plume height with MER. However the results obtained with these various methods can vwary considerably. In this session we encourage contributions on case histories of MER estimates in recent effusive or explosive eruptions, studies linking tephra fallout mapping with estimates of MER in past eruptions, models linking measurable parameters with the MER and studies analysing uncertainties in MER estimates. Contributions on the combination of two or more different methods are especially welcomed.

We invite you to consider to submit an abstract!

Hope to see you in Vienna,

Sara, Magnús Tumi, Simona and Mark