VOLCANO: Caribbean Volcano Cruise

Caribbean Volcano Cruise
From: David Lea <lead@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Group,

In 2001, 2002 and 2003 I organized a volcano cruise on the Sir Robert Baden Powell, a 157 foot top-sail schooner. I put the idea out on this list and we had 18 people join us each year. The first cruise was 21 days long and we climbed all the 11 volcanoes from Grenada in the south to Saba in the north, spending two days on each island and sailing to the next destination over night. The other two cruises were for 10 days and 5 islands.

Recently, someone approached me at our coffee house here in Montserrat, (on Facebook at: Hilltop Coffee House and Family Centre,) and asked about the cruise. He has a small sailboat that he charters in the summer out of Rockport, Maine. Then they sail down to the Caribbean for the winter season. He asked me if I could find anyone interested in visiting the volcanoes in the Caribbean for a ten-day charter. I have given the idea a lot of thought and emailed back and forth with this gentleman numerous times. I told him I would put the idea forward on this list and see what the response it.

So.... if you would be interested in going to five volcanic islands in ten days, (without having to go through an airport or deal with LIAT Airlines,) please get back to me,
David Lea, email: lead@xxxxxxxx  You can check out our video work on the Montserrat Eruption at: www.priceofparadise.com Some of you might have seen the educational DVD we did with Professor Steve Sparks called, Montserrat's Andesite Volcano, now available in seven languages.

By the way, I just finished writing a book on the eruption that will be launched at the literary festival here in Montserrat on November 12. It is titled, Through My Lens and should be on Amazon by the Christmas season. It is 230 pages and parallels the nine part video series we did over the last 20 years. It has lots of pictures, (many not seen before,) of all that happened here. Thanks to all the contributors that helped with this project by donating photographs or time. If interested in this, please send me an email.

 Tentative itinerary for the cruise:

There would be a southern adventure to: Montserrat, Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Vincent and Martinique, (this could be flexible.) The northern trip leaving Montserrat in April would be: Nevis, St. Kitts, Statia and Saba. Getting dropped off in St. Martin. Each of these tours would include a stay of two days in Montserrat with a very complete tour of the volcano here.

The gentleman that would guide the sailing trip is Captain Twig on the good ship, Heron : Sailheron.com
We would try to work out a cost of something around $200.us per day with meals included. Booze and shore trips would be extra.
The Heron can accommodate  four people or two couples. If it were just two people, it would of course be more expensive.
If we get a good response, Capt. Twig would use a bigger boat and make it a bigger party.

So.... If you get back to us by email, we will put you in a folder of interested people.
If you would like to book it for this winter, please let us know so that we can forward your request on to Capt. Twig.

One of the trips south would start in Montserrat where we have accommodation: www.gingerbreadhill.com
The return trip from the south would end in Montserrat.
The northern journey would depart from Montserrat.

I think that this would be the trip of a lifetime, avoiding all the hassles of air travel with the benefit of approaching the islands from the sea.
Great food, great crew and exciting adventures for the price of a hotel room.

Many thanks to Chelsea Allison for her help and direction from the listserve.

Let us hear from you if you are interested in this year's adventure or in a future trip.

Sincerely,

David

David and Clover Lea
Living Letters Productions
Gingerbread Hill
P.O. Box 246, Montserrat, British West Indies
ph: 664-491-5812 / 813-774-5270 (if calling from North America)
http://www.priceofparadise.com
http://www.gingerbreadhill.com
http://cloversongs.com