VOLCANO: Trail by Fire

Trail by Fire
From: Yves Moussallam <ymoussallam@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to an upcoming large-scale volcanology expedition which I hope will draw a fair amount of public interest to our field.

The “Trail by Fire” expedition is the winner of the 2015 Land Rover – Royal Geographical Society bursary. In this ambitious expedition, an international team of six volcanologists will traverse the length of the Nazca subduction zone from Peru all the way down to Southern Chile, in order to quantify volcanic gas emissions and their role in cycling volatiles through the Earth’s mantle and crust. With the help of our sponsors and colleagues worldwide, the team have assembled a suite of cutting edge scientific instruments, all housed in the world’s first Mobile Volcano Observatory, a specially modified Land Rover Defender 110.

The team will be utilizing a range of in situ sensing, direct sampling, and remote sensing techniques to quantify the flux of various volatile species and their isotopic compositions to place constraints on the efficiency of volatiles cycling at subduction zones.  The instrumental fleet includes UV and IR cameras, UV spectrometers, Multigas instruments, Giggenbach bottles, filter packs and a Delta Ray spectrometer. The team will use unmanned aerial vehicles to take some of these spectrometers, sensors and sampling devices to places volcanologists cannot go and satellites images will be used to track the progress of the team along the Andes, and extrapolate their observations in space and time. By bringing these diverse and cutting edge techniques together for the first time, the team hopes to get a synoptic view of the rate at which volcanoes release volatiles into the atmosphere, and where these volatiles have come from.

We hope you will join us on the Trail by Fire!

o   Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Trail-by-Fire-713067812147598/

o   Twitter – @trailbyfire

o   Website – http://www.trailbyfire.org

The Trail by Fire team:

Yves Moussallam, Nial Peters, Aaron Curtis, Ian Schipper, Talfan Barnie, Philipson Bani