VOLCANO: AGU 2015. Endogenous Mantle Melting (DI 006)

AGU 2015. Endogenous Mantle Melting (DI 006)
From: Rajdeep Dasgupta <Rajdeep.Dasgupta@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

(with apologies for yet another AGU session advert)

If you are thinking to present your work related to physics, chemistry, and dynamics of mantle melting, we would like to draw your attention to the session DI 006 - Endogenous Mantle Melting: Petrology and Geophysics. The session description is given below and the abstract submission deadline is in 2 days.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/Session8565

Our confirmed invited speakers are -

Oliver Shorttle (U Cambridge)
Denis Andrault (U Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand)
Emily Sarafian (WHOI)
Tobias Keller (U Oxford)

Session ID#: 8565

Session Description:

In this session we focus on processes internal to the mantle that cause melting and melt segregation.  These processes include decompression during mantle convection, as well as melt—rock reaction during melt segregation.  Endogenous melting is shaped by the pre-existing mantle composition and its heterogeneity; in particular, it is influenced by volatile elements, recycled materials, the rates and spatial distribution of melt segregation, and the availability of energy. As a consequence of variations in these and other parameters, mantle melts and residua span a large range of compositions and physical properties. In this session we welcome contributions on the formation, migration, and reaction of endogenous mantle melts within the shallow and deep mantle.  We encourage innovative studies that address mantle melting through computational, experimental, geochemical, and/or field approaches.

With best regards,

Richard F Katz, University of Oxford
Paul D Asimow, California Institute of Technology
Véronique Le Roux, Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst
Rajdeep Dasgupta, Rice University