VOLCANO: AGU 2015. V042: Volcano-Atmosphere Interactions

AGU 2015. V042: Volcano-Atmosphere Interactions
From: kimberly genareau <kdgenareau@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

With less than two weeks remaining until the abstract deadline on August 5th, we would like to draw your attention to our cross-disciplinary session at the upcoming fall meeting…

V042: Volcano-Atmosphere Interactions

Session Description:

Explosive eruptions are linked to a range of atmospheric phenomena including volcanic lightning, phase changes of water, and modification of airborne aerosols by ash aggregation and scavenging of chemical compounds. All of these processes are relevant to the detection, forecasting and mitigation of volcanic hazards.

This session focuses on processes related to the lifetime of volcanic ash from source to sink. We particularly encourage studies that bridge volcanology and atmospheric physics from the perspectives of field observations, laboratory experiments, remote sensing, and numerical modeling.

Topics of particular interest include:

• Factors influencing the generation of fine ash (e.g. magma-water interaction)

• Atmospheric injection of volcanic plumes

• Constraints on electrical charge generation and volcanic lightning

• Processes that modify the fallout of volcanic ash, including particle aggregation

Invited Speakers:

Simon Carn, Michigan Technological University

Corrado Cimarelli, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich

Joshua Mendez Harper, Georgia Institute of Technology

This is sure to be an exciting and interesting session and we hope you can be a part of it.  See you in San Francisco!

Sincerely,

The Conveners:

Kimberly Genareau, Alexa Van Eaton, Sonja Behnke, and Larry Mastin