VOLCANO: AGU 2015. V010 Generation and Evolution of the Oceanic Lithosphere

AGU 2015. V010 Generation and Evolution of the Oceanic Lithosphere
From: Eric Mittelstaedt <emittelstaedt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

               We would like to bring your attention to the following session at the 2015 Fall Meeting of the AGU: V010 Generation and Evolution of the Oceanic Lithosphere.  The aim of this session is to bring together exciting research from diverse specialties that provides new insights into the tectonic, magmatic, and chemical processes influencing the structure of the Earth’s oceanic lithosphere.  We encourage you to contribute an abstract to this session!  Please see below for the session abstract.

Abstract submission is now open on the AGU page: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/start.html

Don’t forget that the deadline for submission of abstracts is August 5th.

Sincerely the conveners,

Claudio Marchesi

Dorsey Wanless

Eric Mittelstaedt

Daniele Brunelli

V010: Generation and Evolution of the Oceanic Lithosphere

In this session we will explore new ideas on the magmatic and tectonic processes controlling the construction and evolution of oceanic lithosphere. Oceanic mantle and crustal rocks record a complex tectono-magmatic evolution, including multiple stages of melt extraction, mantle-melt reaction, crustal production, interaction with fluids and deformation. Deciphering the fingerprints of this evolution is fundamental to comprehend how the oceanic lithosphere is generated, modified, recycled and/or accreted at plate boundaries. We encourage contributions from a broad range of disciplines (petrology, geochemistry, geophysics, numerical modeling) that constrain the evolution of oceanic mantle and crust, in particular focusing on implications for construction and alteration of oceanic lithosphere at mid-ocean ridges, back arc basins, and subduction zones.