VOLCANO: AGU 2015. Session 7653: The origin of basaltic magmatism.

AGU 2015. Session 7653: The origin of basaltic magmatism.
From: Sarah Lambart <saral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

We would like to draw your attention to a Fall AGU 2015 session on "The origin of basaltic magmatism".  We welcome contributions from a wide range of disciplines, and particularly encourage multidisciplinary studies.

Session ID#: 7653
Session Title: The origin of basaltic magmatism
Session Description: Basaltic magmatism has been the focus of many studies from all geoscience disciplines, providing constraints on magma sources, magma generation and transport, and magmatic evolution. For example, geophysical observations reveal crustal and mantle structure, experimental petrology helps define the conditions of melt generation, geochemistry gives information on source composition(s), and numerical modeling provides insight into the dynamics of magma genesis, transport, and storage.
The challenge now is to bring these constraints together to produce geodynamically consistent models of basalt genesis in a variety of tectonic settings. Relevant questions include: How do basalt volumes and compositions relate to the dynamics of mantle flow and melting? Over what length scales are mantle source regions heterogeneous? How are magmas extracted and mixed?
We seek contributions that emphasize multidisciplinary approaches, using geochemistry, numerical modeling, experiments and/or geophysics to illuminate our understanding of basalt genesis and how it relates to the composition of the source.

Invited Speakers:
John Armitage (Royal Holloway, University of London)
Mark Behn (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)
Allison Gale (University of Wisconsin-River Falls)
Ken Rubin (University of Hawaii)

Conveners:
Sarah Lambart, UC Davis (sarahlambart@xxxxxxxx)
Eric Brown, Aarhus University (ericlb@xxxxxxxxx)
Garrett Ito, University of Hawaii (gito@xxxxxxxxxx)

We look forward to seeing you in San Francisco!

Sarah, Eric, and Garrett!