VOLCANO: GSA 2015. Magma studies at multiple scales

GSA 2015. Magma studies at multiple scales
From: Tenley Banik <tjbanik@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues and fellow magmaphiles (with apologies for multiple listings),

I am writing today to invite you to submit an abstract (due August 11) to participate in GSA Session T163:

A Matter of Perspective: Integrating Macro- and Micro-Scale Evidence in Investigations of Magmatic Origins and Histories

Together we will discuss magma: its origins, emplacement, and everything in between. We encourage dialog around creative integration of multi-scale evidence as well as studies focused at various scales from macro to micro perspectives. Invited talks include applications of modeling, remote sensing, and mineral-scale records to understand magmas.  We encourage broad participation, especially from early-career scientists.

Specific details about our session and the conference can be found below.

We hope to see you in Baltimore!

Best wishes,

Tamara Carley (Lafayette College)
Tenley Banik (Illinois State U)
Lily Claiborne (Vanderbilt U)
Susanne McDowell (Hanover College)

Title: T163. A Matter of Perspective: Integrating Macro- and Micro-Scale Evidence in Investigations of Magmatic Origins and Histories

Sponsor(s): GSA Mineralogy, Geochemistry, Petrology, and Volcanology Division; Mineralogical Society of America; Geochemical Society; GSA Planetary Geology Division

Rationale: The processes that drive and record the generation, evolution, storage, transport and emplacement of magmas operate at many spatial and temporal scales. Investigations of these magmatic processes also operate on multiple scales: from the macro-scale (field observations, remote sensing, system models) to the micro-scale (microanalysis, including major and trace element geochemistry, isotope geochemistry, and geochronology) and everything in between. The integration of field-based (or remotely-sensed), analytical, experimental and theoretical data can yield powerful and illuminating results, and deepen our understanding of both terrestrial and planetary magmatic systems. In this session we aim to create a forum for researchers to share and discuss innovative, multi-scale, multi- pronged strategies for approaching the study of magma. We encourage discussion of magmatic processes associated with a variety of compositions, tectonic (or planetary) settings, and time periods. We extend a warm welcome to students and other early-career geologists, and encourage their full participation.

Invited Speakers:
Trish Gregg (U of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
Ayla Pamukcu (Brown University)
Nick Lang (Mercyhurst College)

Scientific Categories: Petrology, Igneous, Volcanology, Geochemistry

Description: Together we will discuss magma: its origins, emplacement, and everything in between. We encourage dialog around creative integration of multi-scale evidence?from macro to micro perspectives. We encourage broad participation, especially from early-career scientists.

Conference Location and Dates: Baltimore, MD; November 1-4, 2015

ABSTRACT DEADLINE: August 11, 2015

Link to session descriptions and abstract submissions: http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2015/sessions/topical.asp?CatID=Petrology,+Igneous