VOLCANO: EGU 2015. Celebrating 200 years of modelling

EGU 2015. Celebrating 200 years of modelling
From: Buiter Susanne <Susanne.Buiter@xxxxxx>

Dear all,

I hope you will allow me to make a quick advertisement for our union symposium at the upcoming EGU meeting that will celebrate 200 years of modelling:

Union Symposium US2 "Celebrating 200 years of modelling of geological processes",
Tuesday 14 April, 08:30 - 12:00, Room B9
Susanne Buiter, Vincent Strak, Andreas Lang, Wouter Schellart, Joao Duarte, Irina Artemieva

200 years ago Sir James Hall laterally pushed together cloth pieces and clay in boxes, thus providing an explanation for folds on the east coast of Scotland. He was the first geologist to use analogue models as a tool for understanding geological processes and his work initiated the field of modelling in the Earth Sciences. In the Union Symposium we will highlight the many achievements in numerical and analogue modelling since Hall’s pioneering steps with six lectures that showcase historical developments, current impacts and possible future trajectories in modelling:

* Hemin Koyi - Past and present of analogue modelling, and its future trend,
* Janine Kavanagh and Catherine Annen - Analogue and numerical modelling in Volcanology: Development, evolution and future challenges,
* Paul Bons and co-authors - Modelling of deformation and recrystallisation microstructures in rocks and ice,
* Jean Braun and co-authors - Quantitative Geomorphology: How computers have revolutionized the way we think about landscapes,
* Carolina Lithgow-Bertelloni - Experimental, Numerical and Observational Models in Geodynamics,
* Doris Breuer and co-authors - Numerical Models in Planetary Geology – Specifics of One-Plate Planets.

In the afternoon, the celebration will continue with companion session TS8.2, "200 years of modelling of geological processes", 13:30 - 17:00, room B9

Looking forward to seeing you there!
On behalf of the conveners,
Susanne