VOLCANO: Our Common Future meeting in Paris, July 7-10, 2015. Session on volcanic eruptions and climate

From: Alan Robock <robock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting a paper to the following session on volcanic eruptions and climate at Our Common Future meeting in Paris, July 7-10, 2015.  The deadline for submission of contributed talks is March 2.  To submit an abstract, go to:  http://www.commonfuture-paris2015.org/How-to-Contribute/Contributions.htm

Climate variability and external forcings of the Common Era with special focus on the role of volcanic eruptions

Conveners: Alan Robock, Rutgers University, USA; Marie-Alexandrine Sicre, IPSL, France; Anja Schmidt, University of Leeds, United Kingdom; Marit-Solveig Seidenkrantz, Aarhus University, Denmark; Lucien von Gunten, PAGES IPO, Bern, Switzerland

An unprecedented joint paleo-data and -modeling community effort has recently been undertaken by the IGBP-PAGES 2k network to compile and interpret high-resolution paleo climate records over the last 2000 years (the Common Era). From this analysis of climate variability and sensitivity to external forcings, volcanic eruptions have emerged as major drivers of climate.

In this session, we welcome contributions focusing on climate variability during the Common Era, using observations, proxy- or modeling-based approaches, or a combination of both. We also encourage discussions on new developments for data selection and climate reconstruction techniques, and new standards for data sharing and archival.

The year 2015 marks the bicentennial anniversary of the eruption of Mt. Tambora, which was the largest volcanic eruption in recorded history and which caused the “Year Without a Summer” in 1816. Therefore, we would like to put a special emphasis on research addressing the role of volcanic forcing in modulating climate variability. Studies aiming at incorporating the effects of volcanic eruptions and other external forcing mechanisms in climate prediction models are also welcomed.

We also encourage the submission of contributions addressing the effects of volcanic events and their climate impact on society, including impacts on agriculture, famine, and social disruption, and how similar eruptions could impact current society.