VOLCANO: IUGG 2015. Collapse Caldera Session (VS04)

IUGG 2015. Collapse Caldera Session (VS04)
From: Adelina Geyer Traver <ageyertraver@xxxxxxxxx>

26th IUGG General Assembly

Dear colleagues ,

We would like to draw your attention on the Collapse Caldera Session (VS04) at the next IUGG 2015 Meeting (http://www.iugg2015prague.comto be held in Prague (June 22  July 25, 2015). Below you may find the description of the session.

Abstracts are due on the 31st of January!

http://www.iugg2015prague.com/abstract-submission.htm

We look forward to seeing you in Prague!

The Conveners

 VS04 Collapse Calderas

Convener: Adelina Geyer Traver (Barcelona, Spain)

Co-conveners: Nobuo Geshi (Ibaraki, Japan), Caroline Bouvet De Maisonneuve (Singapore), Olivier Bachmann (Zurich, Switzerland)

Description

Collapse calderas have long been a major subject of interest for volcanologists and other geoscientists because they are the most catastrophic volcanic events that have occurred on Earth. In addition, caldera reactivation in the shape of unrest creates important dilemmas for hazard assessment, as not all periods of unrest lead to an eruption and not all eruptions are caldera-forming. Thus, understanding the magmatic processes occurring beneath silicic calderas and the thermodynamic and mechanic conditions of magma and host rock required to generate collapse calderas remain a major goal in Volcanology. This session will address the principal processes accompanying the development of calderas, including their regional tectonic and magmatic context and the requirements for their formation and evolution. We will also address the conditions leading to the complex pattern of caldera unrest, potential for evolution into an eruption, and the role of calderas as sources of geothermal energy and metallic ore deposits. In this session, we invite contributions from field studies, petrology, geochemistry, geophysics, volcano monitoring and modelling (analogue or numerical) on the details of a caldera cycle. What are the long-term or short-term precursors of a caldera-forming eruption? When is the transition from resurgent to precursory activity and how does it occur? What controls the length of recurrence intervals? When do magmatic vs. non magmatic (e.g. hydrothermal) processes dominate the system?