VOLCANO: EGU 2015. session GMPV5.2 Magma-hydrothermal system interactions

EGU 2015. session GMPV5.2 Magma-hydrothermal system interactions
From: Art Jolly <A.Jolly@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

I am writing on behalf of my co-convenors and myself to invite you to submit a paper to the upcoming EGU session GMPV5.2 on 'Magma-hydrothermal system interactions'

The link to the session is here:

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2015/session/17950

and the session description follows below:

Hydrothermal systems overlie most volcanic systems worldwide impacting the interpretation of a wide range of geophysical, chemical, and visual indicators of volcanic unrest. They also work to mask the effects of underlying magma and contribute considerable uncertainty in the interpretation of hazards and risk at volcanoes. We seek contributions from petrology, physical volcanology, geochemistry, seismology and geophysics which examine specifically the hydrothermal effects on magmatism. Of particular interest are the range of new laboratory experiments and modelling which help to constrain hydrothermal-magmatic system interactions in the shallow crust. The central aim of the session is to examine the range of observations, experimental work and models towards the goal of building a ‘toolbox’ to discriminate between mostly hydrothermal processes and mostly magmatic ones. This toolbox may then be applied in a monitoring paradigm to better understand volcano unrest and hazards.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me (a.jolly@xxxxxxxxxx) or one of the co-convenors Michael Heap (heap@xxxxxxxxxx), Jo Gottsmann ( j.gottsmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx), or Micol Todesco (micol.todesco@xxxxxxxxxx).

The EGU deadline is 7 January 2015 at 13:00 Central Europe Time and the financial support deadline is 28 November, 2014.  We look forward to seeing you at EGU.

Sincerely,

Arthur Jolly