VOLCANO: SEG Asia Pacific Conference

SEG Asia Pacific Conference
From: John Bradford <jbradfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit a paper to the 2nd Asia Pacific Conference on Near Surface Geophysics.  For additional information, please visit the conference website at:
http://www.seg.org/events/upcoming-seg-meetings/2015/ns-asia-pacific-2015

Given that this year’s venue is located on the Hawaiian volcanic chain, we will highlight geophysical applications to natural hazards focusing on volcanoes. Special sessions are planned for volcano characterization; monitoring, imaging, and stratigraphy of pyroclastic flows; geophysical applications to tsunamis; and passive/microseismic methods for near-surface applications.

The 2015 Near Surface Asia Pacific Conference will focus on near-surface issues within the entire Pan-Pacific region and will provide a world-class forum for new technical advances, developments, and applications in near-surface geophysics.
In addition to papers on volcano geophysics, we welcome the submission of papers covering theoretical developments and case histories in the broad topic of near-surface geophysics, including:

• Shallow Seismology
• Ground-penetrating Radar
• Electric, EM, and NMR Methods
• Engineering Geophysics
• Mining and Geothermal Exploration
• Remote Sensing and Lidar Applications
• Hydrogeophysics
• Rock and Soil Properties
• Borehole Geophysics
• Modeling and Inversion
• Geophysical Instruments

As a new component to this year’s conference, we invite proposals for additional special sessions and one-day postconference workshops. In your proposal, please include the workshop or session organizers, potential invited speakers, and a brief description of the topic and its relevance to the conference.

As part of the meeting, Oz Yilmaz, author of Seismic Data Analysis, will give his 2015 Distinguished Short Course entitled “Engineering Seismology: with Applications to Geotechnical Engineering”, and Koichi Hayashi will present his 2014 Near Surface Honorary Lecture “Integrated geophysical methods applied to geotechnical and geohazard engineering: >From qualitative to quantitative analysis and interpretation”.

The post-conference field trip will tour the unique volcanic landscape of Hawai`i. We will travel through the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, an inspiring and precious place that is listed as both a World Heritage Site and an International Biosphere preserve. Additionally, we will visit the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and discuss the historical earthquake and eruption effects from Hualalai, Mauna Loa and Kilauea.

--
John Bradford, Professor
Center for Geophysical Investigation of the Shallow Subsurface