VOLCANO: Vacancy: Department Chair at University of Texas- El Paso (USA)

Vacancy: Department Chair at University of Texas- El Paso (USA)
From: "Gill, Thomas E." <tegill@xxxxxxxx>

The Department of Geological Sciences at The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) invites applications and nominations for the position of Department Chair. The Chair will join a growing, research-intensive department that is housed within a national research university. We are looking for an individual who can support our continued expansion, build on our strengths, and lead the development and implementation of new opportunities at this exciting time in our institution’s history.

ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Geological Sciences at UTEP is a vibrant group of 17 tenured and tenure-track faculty with research areas focused under five main themes: earth surface processes and geochemistry, economic geology and energy resources, geoinformatics and technology, geophysics, and tectonics and sediment dynamics. We are also committed to science education and professional/entrepreneurial geoscience. Faculty and students additionally benefit from opportunities within the Center for Entrepreneurial Geosciences, the Center for Earth and Environmental Isotope Research, and the Institute for Tectonic Studies. UTEP’s Indio Mountains Research Station provides an outstanding natural laboratory and classroom for research and education. The Department offers the B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Geology, the B.S. and M.S. in Environmental Science, and the M.S. in Geophysics. We also support students in interdisciplinary Ph.D. programs in Computational Science and Environmental Science and Eng
 ineering. The department boasts strong research that addresses the global environmental and resource challenges of the future and takes advantage of our regional tectonic and geologic settings. Our integrative and collaborative efforts have resulted in annual research expenditures averaging nearly $3.5M per year over the last five years.

ABOUT UTEP & EL PASO:
UTEP was founded as the Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy, and has a long and distinguished history of both geological and environmental research and education. UTEP is an emerging national research university that is committed to the ideals of access and excellence at the heart of the U.S.-Mexico border region. A leader among Hispanic-serving institutions, UTEP enrolls over 23,000 students and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. UTEP is designated by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as “Community Engaged”, and UTEP faculty have been nationally recognized for their commitment to student success, teaching, research, and scholarship. Moreover, our border location opens ample opportunities for bi-national collaborations.
A center for intellectual capital, UTEP has awarded more than 110,000 degrees since its founding in 1914 and is one of the major economic engines in the Paso Del Norte region. UTEP offers exciting programs that are open to the public, including Division I athletics; award-winning theater, dance, and music; the internationally acclaimed Stanlee and Gerald Rubin Center for the Visual Arts; the Centennial Museum and Desert Gardens; and continuing and lifelong educational opportunities.
El Paso County is a highly livable, bi-cultural community of approximately 800,000 people, which offers affordable homes and attractive neighborhoods. It is the safest large city of its size in the United States. Shielded by mountains on three sides, El Paso experiences more than 300 days of sunshine annually and a dry climate, making it possible to enjoy outdoor activities year round in our geologically and environmentally diverse terrain.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Qualified candidates should have earned a Ph.D. in Geology, Environmental Science, or a closely related field, and have recognized accomplishments in research and a history of securing extramural funding. Applicants from academia or industry with leadership experience and evidence of prior success in development and fundraising efforts are encouraged to apply. Accomplishments commensurate with a tenured appointment at the level of Professor are sought.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Desired skills include previous experience in administrative and faculty governance roles, student and faculty mentoring, advocacy, and curriculum development and assessment. Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to diversity are also welcomed.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates must submit the following: a letter of interest; curriculum vitae; statement of research interest; brief outline of their administrative vision, leadership experience, goals, and accomplishments; and complete contact information for at least three references.
Applications will be managed through a hiring firm – details to follow. In the meantime, any questions should be addressed to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Kristin Gosselink, with the subject line: UTEP Geology Chair Search. Email: kgosselink@xxxxxxxx.
The University of Texas at El Paso is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or sexual orientation in employment or the provision of services.