VOLCANO: AGU 2014. Exploiting the Potential of Tephra in Paleoenvironmental Records

AGU 2014. Exploiting the Potential of Tephra in Paleoenvironmental Records
From: "Karen Fontijn" <karenf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

We like to encourage you to submit a contribution to our AGU2014 session “Exploiting the Potential of Tephra in Paleoenvironmental Records”. The abstract submission deadline is 6 August 23:59 EST/04:59 +1 GMT. More details can be found at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2014/scientific-program/

Session description:

Many volcanic eruptions produce tephra, which is then dispersed downwind and downstream. Tephra have been widely used as stratigraphic markers, and to help to correlate paleoenvironmental records across a range of contexts, but can we do more? New techniques for analysing the trace constituents of volcanic glasses, or the analysis of other components of the tephra are increasingly being used to refine correlations, but their potential as tools to reveal the pre-eruptive nature of the volcanic system, for example, has not yet been fully exploited. Equally, the ever improving time-resolution of paleoenvironmental records has the potential to significantly improve our knowledge of volcanic activity through time.  We solicit submissions that explore the many uses of tephra records from a spectrum of paleoenvironmental contexts (whether soils, peat, lake cores, ice, or the marine realm) to improve our understanding of volcanic activity.

We hope to see you there for what promises to be a stimulating meeting!

David Pyle, Paul Hughes, Karen Fontijn, Maarten Van Daele