VOLCANO: Request for Undergraduate Physical Volcanology Course Materials

Request for Undergraduate Physical Volcanology Course Materials
From: Eric Grosfils <EGROSFILS@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

I am writing to ask those of you currently teaching Volcanology courses if you would be willing to share teaching materials.

I am in the process of developing a new lab course in Physical Volcanology for intermediate level geology undergraduates at Pomona College. The class will likely include students fresh out of an introductory geology class (provided that they have taken Calculus) all the way up to senior students with advanced course work under their belt.

The undergraduates I teach are quite talented by and large, but like many of their peers they are often not as quantitatively adept as they need to be. An explicit goal of the course is thus to increase their ability to apply quantitative methods as they assess geological questions. In my department we have done this within our curriculum recently using shallow exploration geophysics, but now we want to develop something similarly grounded in quantitative analysis but focused instead on problems in basic physical volcanology. For example, simple Mogi-style coding in Excel could be used to frame analytical predictions of uplift response to reservoir inflation. A scaled sandbox-style analogue model could then be used to simulate the uplift and document the structural deformation that occurs, and finally students could be introduced to assessing what more can be learned using a simple numerical modeling tool (e.g. COMSOL Multiphysics). This sequence, focused on elucidating magma reservoir behavior, would enable them to explore the links between analytical predictions, analogue observations and continuum mechanics in a first order quantitative fashion.

My hope is that those of you who already teach a tested volcanology course might be willing to share syllabi, thoughts about textbooks (pro and con), examples of effective and engaging homework and lab exercises, etc. Right now no idea is too big or too small! I have plenty of ideas of my own, and things that I definitely want to introduce for my specific students given the framework of our degree program, but anything you can suggest or provide that might help enrich the content of the course (and/or reduce the extent to which I reinvent the proverbial wheel!) could only help and would be deeply appreciated.

I can be reached by anyone who wishes to share ideas at egrosfils@xxxxxxxxxx.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Dr. Eric B. Grosfils