VOLCANO: CoV 2014: Shared Experiences in Real-Time Volcano Seismic Monitoring: Doing More With Our Data

CoV 2014: Shared Experiences in Real-Time Volcano Seismic Monitoring: Doing More With Our Data
From: John Wellik <jjwellik@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to call your attention to our session, Shared Experiences in Real-Time Volcano Seismic Monitoring: Doing More With Our Data, to be convened at the Cities on Volcanoes 8 conference, 9-13 September 2014 (Yogyakarta, Indonesia). The official abstract submission dates have not been announced yet, but we welcome interested individuals to contact one of the conveners with unofficial abstract proposals. If you want to stay informed of the official deadlines or want to receive more information about our session, please contact one of the session conveners below.

In our session, we seek to share new thoughts and techniques from the volcano monitoring community on how to further use short period seismic data to advance our understanding of volcanic processes during quiescence and unrest. Studies from all volcanic processes utilizing the full range of the seismic spectrum are welcome; however, we are primarily focused on advancing monitoring practices at sites with limited instrumentation and short period stations. We hope to attract speakers with first hand experience at observatories across the world as well as researchers engaged in projects that are directly applicable to real-time monitoring.

The session will address the following topics:

  1. What new techniques and software packages can help us better utilize current and archived suites of short period seismic data at active volcanoes?

  2. How can comparative studies with GPS, gas, acoustic, and broadband seismic data help us better understand the limitations and utility of short period networks?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Conveners:
Jay Wellik, Michigan Tech (jjwellik@xxxxxxx)
Wendy McCausland, USGS (wmccausland@xxxxxxxx)

Hetty Triastuty, CVGHM (hetty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Greg Waite, Michigan Tech (gpwaite@xxxxxxx)
Benoit Taisne, EOS (btaisne@xxxxxxxxxx)

Jay Wellik
MSc Student
Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
Michigan Technological University

jjwellik@xxxxxxx