VOLCANO: SSA 2014. Near-Field Seismoacoustics of Natural and Man Made Explosions

SSA 2014. Near-Field Seismoacoustics of Natural and Man Made Explosions
From: Daniel Bowman <haksaeng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Keehoon Kim, Jonathan Lees and I would like to call your attention to the special session "Near-Field Seismoacoustics of Natural and Man Made Explosions" to be held at next spring's Seismological Society of America annual meeting in Anchorage, Alaska (April 30 - May 2, 2014).  We look forward to a series of exciting talks on explosion dynamics, and we welcome contributions from chemical, volcanic, and nuclear studies.

The session description is below.

Best Regards,

Daniel Bowman

Near-Field Seismoacoustics of Natural and Man Made Explosions

Multiparameter observations (e. g., seismic, acoustic, video, etc.) of natural and man made explosions have the potential to provide important details of source time functions and coupling of seismoacoustic waves. For example, a series of recent studies have observed signatures of rapid ground deformation, distortions due to topographic effects, production of nonlinear acoustic waves, and complex seismoacoustic partitioning during explosions. Understanding these relationships is important for characterizing geophysical phenomena in the atmosphere and the solid earth. Such detailed knowledge is also critical in volcano and nuclear explosion monitoring. We encourage contributions that describe extensions of our current seismoacoustic monitoring capabilities with innovative technologies, network configurations, and observational methods.