VOLCANO: Seeking proximal ash, Mt St Helens, May 18th

Seeking proximal ash, Mt St Helens, May 18th
From: "Paul Ayris" <paul.ayris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

A number of us are performing a retrospective ash leachate study of the May 18th Mount St Helens 1980 eruption and we have found some interesting trends meriting further discussion. As a component of this study, we are in need of proximal ash for characterisation. We are therefore sending out a general request for proximal MSH80 samples which originate specifically from the May 18th ashfall.  We are only hoping to obtain between 0.5-1g (minimum) of non-sieved material for non-destructive analysis, and the material can be returned if needed.

We are principally interested in retrieving ash from the area between Mt. St. Helens and Moses Lake / Richland, and would be particularly interested to access a sample from the Mossyrock and/or Riffe Lake area. However, we would also be happy to receive ash from the areas of Idaho which received ashfall.

If anyone is in possession of such samples and is happy to provide small subsamples, please could you contact Paul Ayris at: paul.ayris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Adam Durant will be at the AGU Fall Meeting so it would be possible to meet and exchange at that time.

Kind regards and thanks,

Paul Ayris

Pierre Delmelle

Adam Durant

David Damby

Elena Maters

Dr Paul Martin Ayris

Section for Mineralogy, Petrology and Geochemistry

Theresienstr. 41

80333 Munich

Germany

Tel:  +49 89 2180 4271