VOLCANO: The Useful Science Initiative

The Useful Science Initiative
From: Jeannie Scott <jeannie.scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Useful Science Initiative: a natural hazards knowledge exchange project

We are the Useful Science Initiative, a group of scientists and stakeholders who believe that natural hazards science shouldn’t be restricted to highly technical papers and theses: it should also be published for the non-expert stakeholders who can really make use of it.

We will help scientists to rewrite cutting-edge research “for the public.” All USI publications will be free to download, and they will explain what the science means for stakeholders.

If Useful Science is important to you, join us and help shape our organization into something we can all be proud of. There are several ways you can get involved:

1)  Come to our inaugural workshop! Stakeholders, scientists, and policy makers will meet in Oxford, UK on 9th

December, 2013. Attendance is free, but registration is essential. Once you register, we’ll send you a

pre-workshop pack setting out our ideas for the USI and asking for your feedback.

2)  If you can’t get to our workshop in person, register as a non-attending delegate. This means you will get the

pre-workshop pack, and you can send us your feedback. Your opinions will be counted at the workshop, but

you won’t need to do anything on the day.

3)  Go online – we have a brand new Facebook page, website, and blog. Comments are welcome!

To register for the workshop, or for more information, please email our workshop co-ordinator: jeannie.scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best regards,

The USI Workshop Team

Facebook: www.facebook.com/UsefulScienceInitiative