VOLCANO: AGU Fall Meeting 2013 Session OS012: mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems

AGU Fall Meeting 2013 Session OS012: mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems
From: Karen Bemis <bemis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues

Please consider submitting an abstract (deadline August 6th) to our session on mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems at the 2013 AGU Fall Meeting.  We are looking for any studies that explore linkages between the geological, geophysical, hydrological, and biological aspects of mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems.  An extended description of the session is provided below.

Karen Bemis
Guangyu Xu

OS012. Interactions between mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems and the ocean
Conveners:
        1. Karen Bemis
Rutgers Univ
bemis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        2. Guangyu Xu
Rutgers Univ
xupeng_66@xxxxxxxxxxx

        The extensive multidisciplinary studies on mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems over the past two decades have lead to a growing realization of the coupling between hydrothermal systems with both geological and hydrodynamic processes. There has been substantial evidence for the perturbations in hydrothermal-vent outflow properties (i.e. flow rate, temperature, chemical concentration) due to earthquakes and tides. Additionally, ambient deep-ocean currents have significant influence on the mixing and dispersal of vent-generated products and vent-animal larva, while recent evidence extends the source of this influence to the surface ocean and atmospheric forcing. These findings have started to change our traditional view of mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal system as the remote oases located on the otherwise barren seafloor. This session would explore the linkage of mid-ocean ridge hydrothermal systems with geological, oceanic and atmospheric processes, the mechanisms of which are still largely poorly understood.

Index Terms:
[3050] MARINE GEOLOGY AND GEOPHYSICS / Ocean observatories and experiments
[4273] OCEANOGRAPHY: GENERAL / Physical and biogeochemical interactions
[4512] OCEANOGRAPHY: PHYSICAL / Currents
[8424] VOLCANOLOGY / Hydrothermal systems

------------------------------
Karen G. Bemis
Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University

Mail: Dept. Geological Sciences
      Wright Lab/ Busch Campus
      Rutgers University
      610 Taylor Rd
      Piscataway, NJ 08854-8066
Phone: -no longer exists- (my office) OR 732-445-2044 (department office)
Fax:   732-445-3374
Email: bemis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx