VOLCANO: AGU Fall 2013 Session P030: Thermal Modeling of Terrestrial and Planetary Bodies

AGU Fall 2013 Session P030: Thermal Modeling of Terrestrial and Planetary Bodies
From: "Vaughan, R Greg" <gvaughan@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to consider submitting an abstract to the fall American Geophysical Union session titled “Thermal Modeling of Terrestrial and Planetary Bodies” (P030).  We are excited to be convening this session, as it gives us all an opportunity to share our science results and techniques with the broad thermal modeling and thermal remote sensing community.  Our hope is that this session will foster communication and collaborations between sub-disciplines, and those working on various planetary bodies, including Earth.  The planned foci of this session are four aspects of thermal modeling: thermal inertia, ice stability and ice related processes, volcanic processes (i.e., thermal emission, eruption rates, lava cooling rates, cryovolcanism), and thermal modeling techniques in general.  Please see the below description for additional details, and thank you in advance for your consideration.

AGU SESSION DESCRIPTION: Thermal modeling techniques are used to understand a broad range of geologic and atmospheric problems on solid planetary bodies, including but not limited to, Earth, Europa, Io, Mars, and Titan.  Examples of such problems include the cooling of lava flows, volcano/geothermal monitoring, surface and near sub-surface physical properties, crater deformation, and ice-rock interactions.  The techniques used to address thermal modeling-related questions are often applicable across many disciplines, datasets, and topics.  By sharing scientific results and thermal modeling techniques and applications from a broad range of sub-disciplines, we will foster interdisciplinary collaboration and cooperation within the diverse thermal modeling community.

CURRENT SECTION/FOCUS GROUP: Planetary Sciences (P)
CO-SPONSORING SECTION(S): Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology (V)

Cheers,
Robin Fergason and Greg Vaughan
USGS

--