VOLCANO: GSA Session T218: Illuminating Felsic Origins: Using Novel Multiple-Method Approaches to Investigate the Birth of Silicic Magmas

GSA Session T218: Illuminating Felsic Origins: Using Novel Multiple-Method Approaches to Investigate the Birth of Silicic Magmas
From: Tamara Carley <tamara.carley@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi folks,

This year’s GSA annual meeting (and 125th anniversary celebration!) is one that you won’t want to miss.  There’s a long list of exciting sessions available this year that will appeal to petrologists, volcanologists, geochemists and mineralogists.  In a year where you’ll find yourself spoiled for choice, we’d like to draw your attention to Session T218. Illuminating Felsic Origins: Using Novel Multiple-Method Approaches to Investigate the Birth of Silicic Magmas.

In this session we will bring together researchers who utilize multiple methods in innovative and creative ways to investigate the genesis of felsic magmas of all types, including (but not limited to): small-volume bodies of juvenile granite and rhyolite in oceanic environments; batholithic and super-eruptive quantities of granitoids and high-silica rhyolites in continental settings (both convergence-related and anorogenic); and silicic magmas produced in the Hadean earth. We will encourage open, friendly discussion about the insights and complexities that are emerging from novel multi-method investigations.

We are thrilled to have Drs. Becky Lange, Ilya Bindeman and Mark Harrison as our invited speakers.  We hope that you’ll join us, too!

Best wishes,

Tamara Carley (tamara.l.carley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx), Susanne McDowell (susanne.m.mcdowell@xxxxxxxxx), and Ayla Pamukcu (ayla.s.pamukcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Additional details:

Conference dates and location: October 27-30, Denver, CO.

Abstract deadline: August 6

Link: http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2013/sessions/topical.asp?CatID=Petrology%2C+Igneous&submit=Go

Session T218. Illuminating Felsic Origins: Using Novel Multiple-Method Approaches to Investigate the Birth of Silicic Magmas.

Sponsors:

Geochemical Society

GSA Mineralogy, Geochemistry, Petrology, and Volcanology Division

Invited speakers:

Becky Lange

Ilya Bindeman

T. Mark Harrison

Session summary:

The origins of felsic magmas is a topic that has motivated igneous research for more than a century. By the mid-20th century, rigorous experimentation that elucidated the phase equlibria of silicic magmas and identified granitic compositions as “petrogeny’s residua” laid to rest notions of granitization as a dominant petrogenetic process, but it did not identify a unique mechanism: both anatexis and fractional crystallization were permitted, and the importance of each was, and still is, debated.

Over the past 50 years, a wide variety of methods (e.g., diffusion profiles, in-situ geochemical and isotopic analysis, thermodynamic and kinetic modeling, geospeedometry, and more), applied to bulk rocks, major phases and accessory minerals, has emerged and made it clear that origins of felsic magmas are complex and that there is no single petrogenetic pathway to granite and rhyolite. Evidence for critical roles for open-system processes complicates simple debates about relative importance of partial melting vs. fractional crystallization, and further insights and complexities are now revealed at all scales of the discussion (e.g., rates at which magma is stored, duration of active magmatic evolution, timing and duration of hydrothermal effects within silicic systems).

In this session we hope to bring together researchers who utilize multiple methods in innovative and creative ways to investigate the genesis of felsic magmas of all types, including, but not limited to, small-volume bodies of juvenile granite and rhyolite in oceanic environments; batholithic and super-eruptive quantities of granitoids and high-silica rhyolites in continental settings, both convergence-related and anorogenic; and silicic magmas produced in the early (Hadean) earth. We will discuss the insights that are emerging from novel multi-method investigations, as well as the complexity and controversy that can arise from studies in which an integrated approach yields inconsistent or unexpected results. We will encourage participation of both recognized leaders in the igneous petrology community and young researchers (graduate students and recent PhDs) who are establishing themselves in the field.