VOLCANO: Field Studies Inquiry (esp. Krakatau) - Discovery Channel Canada Inquiry

Field Studies Inquiry (esp. Krakatau) - Discovery Channel Canada Inquiry
From: Maja Klempner <Maja.Klempner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcanologists,

I am contacting you from Discovery Channel Canada's flagship science and technology television show, Daily Planet. We are currently in the research phase of our "natural hazards" theme week that is going to air on our program in the fall in honour of the 130th anniversary of the Krakatau volcanic eruption of 1883.

We are looking for volcanologists who are heading on a field trip to study the remnants of Krakatau this summer, i.e. Anak Krakatau, or for volcanologists who consider themselves experts on the 1883 volcanic eruption of Krakatau and who may have computer simulations of what this eruption looked like and its devastating effects.

We are also interested in speaking with volcanologists who have other exciting field trips or lab experiments planned this summer, anywhere in the world. Is anyone flying with a plane over an active volcano trying to collect data for instance? Is there anyone studying underwater volcanoes? Is anyone studying any of the world's high-threat volcanoes, i.e. Merapi Volcano, or any of the other volcanic ticking time bombs?

It would be great hearing from you ASAP. Please email me if you or any of your colleagues work on any of the above described activities.

Thank you,

Maja

Maja Klempner

Researcher

DAILY PLANET, DISCOVERY CHANNEL CANADA

o: 604.267.4095

Maja.Klempner@bellmedia.ca

Daily Planet is the internationally award-winning flagship show of Discovery Canada. Now in its 18th season, Daily Planet is the first nightly primetime science magazine show in the world and has grown in the last decade to become a powerhouse of science and technology broadcasting internationally. With combined plays on Discovery and the full CTV network, Daily Planet reaches an impressive 2.8 million viewers each week in Canada, and millions more on the web.