VOLCANO: Clarification: AVO use of remote sensing data

Clarification: AVO use of remote sensing data
From: "Power, John" <jpower@xxxxxxxx>

Based on questions we have recently received on the Alaska Volcano Observatory’s (AVO) use of remote sensing data, we would like to clarify that AVO will continue to use meteorological satellite data to monitor volcanic eruptions and volcanic ash plumes.  Many observatory programs are currently being restructured in response to our changing funding situation. In the case of remote sensing, monitoring in Alaska will continue to be done by USGS personnel. Some of the remote sensing data and tools that have been accessible via the AVO website will no longer be available.  We hope to make some new products and displays available in the future.  We will continue to provide quality information and warnings of hazards associated with volcanic eruptions in Alaska and work collaboratively with other partner agencies and organizations.

If you need further information please contact us.  John Power, Scientist-In-Charge, jpower@xxxxxxxx, 907-786-7426, Jeff Freymueller, Coordinating Scientist, jeff.freymueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, 907-474-7286.