VOLCANO: Reminder: Goldschmidt 2013 session 11g: Mt. Etna from Source to Surface

Reminder: Goldschmidt 2013 session 11g: Mt. Etna from Source to Surface
From: Wendy Bohrson <bohrson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We hope that you will consider submitting an abstract to our Goldschmidt
2013 session  "Mt. Etna from Source to Surface: Deciphering How a Complex
Basaltic Magma Storage and Transport System Works". The full session
description is below.

Our goal for this theme session is to bring together scientists who work
on all aspects of the geology of Etna, including volcanological,
geochemical, petrological, and geophysical studies. The enormous data set
that exists on Etna means that we know so much about this volcano, but
interesting and controversial questions remain. We hope to bring together
researchers who are interested in examining these questions from a
multi-disciplinary perspective, so that we can build on the important work
that has already been done.

We are pleased to report that Dr. Patrick Allard will be the keynote for
this session.  In order to have a dynamic session that represents all
aspects of the magmatic system at Etna, we hope that you will submit an
abstract.

Reminders: Abstract deadline April 12, 2013. Meeting dates August 25-30,
2013. The Goldschmidt 2013 website is http://goldschmidt.info/2013/index.

Best regards,
Marco Viccaro, Wendy Bohrson, Antonio Paonita, Giuseppe Puglisi

******************
Mt. Etna from Source to Surface: Deciphering How a Complex Basaltic Magma
Storage and Transport System Works
Conveners: Marco Viccaro, Wendy Bohrson, Antonio Paonita, Giuseppe Puglisi
Keynote: Patrick Allard (IPGP, Paris)

The petrological and geochemical diversity manifested in eruptive products
from Mt. Etna, as well as the geochemical features of the outgassed
volcanic fluids, reflect the complex array of processes that occurs as
magma ascends from its mantle source region to Earth’s surface.
Documenting the relative contributions of mantle vs. crustal components,
including fluids, will address the ongoing controversy about the source of
geochemical signatures in the basalts as well elucidate the relative roles
that mantle plume and subduction zone magmatism play. Quantifying the
contributions of mantle and crustal components relies on a full
understanding of the nature and extent of magma storage and transport
regions, and thus, developing an image of the structure and extent of
Etna’s subvolcanic magma system and documenting related physio-chemical
constraints are priorities. Decades of intensive field, petrological,
geochemical, and geophysical work on Mt. Etna afford an opportunity to
tackle critical questions about the origin and evolution of magmas, their
storage and ascent paths, and their relationships to geodynamic processes
at both regional and local scales. We invite contributions that focus on
unraveling the complex geochemical fingerprints observed in Etnean
eruptive products and that document characteristics of the associated
magma storage zones. Volcanological, geochemical and geophysical
investigations as well as macro-scale to micro-scale petrologic studies
that contribute toward a broader understanding of how the Mt. Etna volcano
system works are particularly welcome.