VOLCANO: On science, risk and communication

On science, risk and communication
From: Micol Todesco <micol.todesco@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

I'm glad to see that the dramatic sentence of L'Aquila trial is stirring an important discussion that goes beyond the specific case, and addresses the major topic of the role of scientists in the society.

This discussion involves many different interconnected elements that have been covered in previous messages.
I would like to focus here on one I find very relevant.

I believe that each and every person has the right to make a personal, informed decision on the level of risk that may consider as acceptable.
This is particularly true when the uncertainty is very high.
The problem, then, is how to distribute the necessary information that must be timely, in appropriate amounts, and correct.

To the eyes of the scientific community, the occurrence of a large earthquake at L'Aquila was clearly within the realm of possible events.
Similarly, scientists are well aware that repeated unrest events at Campi Flegrei could culminate with an eruption.
These are important pieces of knowledge, even though associated with large uncertainties.

Is the society taking full advantage from such knowledge?
Often, this is not the case, for several reasons.
Sometime we leave (or we are requested to leave!) the communication task to others (i.e. public officials, civil protection or administrative authorities)
Other times we do communicate directly with the public but with little, self-taught competences, and this can make our communication less effective if not completely useless.

I had  the chance to exchange thoughts and ideas with a few experts in communication sciences.
From these discussion I have learnt that our outreach efforts commonly miss two fundamental points:

1. Communication becomes effective when it strikes emotional chords.
Publicist know this very well, and politicians are learning (well, not all of them, I'm afraid).
We may not like it, but this will remain the case.
A wide scientific literature shows that we may understand rational information and data, but our decision to act (either to buy a product, vote a politician or take measures to mitigate a risk) is taken when we are emotionally involved.

2. Communication works when it flows in two direction.
Outreach efforts are traditionally one-way: "Listen to me while I'm going to explain  how and why a volcano erupt"
(as I do here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqvL1IDjgSs&feature=plcp
We rarely listen, and this widens the gap between the scientific community and the society.
By listening we could have a clearer idea of the needs and expectations that the society project on the scientific community.
We could correct false expectations but also redirect our research and outreach efforts to better meet the society needs.

I believe that our communication strategies must change. We need to get innovative and creative, not only in science but also in our outreach efforts.

We need to involve trained communication professionals at all levels,
because the greatest scientific achievement is useless if no one can take advantage of it.

Micol Todesco

Micol Todesco

Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
Sezione di Bologna
via Donato Creti, 12
40128 - BOLOGNA (Italy)