VOLCANO: Global Volcanism Program Postdoctoral / Visiting Scientist

Global Volcanism Program Postdoctoral / Visiting Scientist
From: "Andrews, Benjamin" <AndrewsB@xxxxxx>

Global Volcanism Program: Postdoctoral Fellowship / Visiting Senior Scientist

This is a second and final call for applications for a postdoctoral fellowship / visiting senior scientist position in the broad field of volcanology. The position is in the Department of Mineral Sciences, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution and is sponsored by the Global Volcanism Program (www.volcano.si.edu). We anticipate making our award decision in early October.

Competitive candidates will address problems in volcanology important on a global scale and/or volcanic systematics on regional/global scales from geochemical, petrological and/or physical volcanological perspectives. The department is home to the National Rock and Ore Collections as well as extensive preparatory and analytical equipment including experimental petrology labs, EMPA, FEG SEM, FTIR, XRD, cathodoluminescence, and wet chemistry (http://mineralsciences.si.edu/facilities.htm). The Global Volcanism Program maintains a database of physical characteristics of more than 9000 eruptions. To apply, please email a project proposal (5 page maximum including all figures, tables, and references), CV, dates of proposed tenure, and names of at least two references familiar with your work to Elizabeth Cottrell (cottrelle@xxxxxx). The position is for one year and renewable (for postdocs, not senior scientists) for a second year pending progress. The stipend is $53,000/yr + $3,000 for health insurance. Research funds are not directly allocated for this position. There are, however, no fees for use of Smithsonian analytical facilities. Drs. Cottrell and Andrews will cover expenses that arise during collaborative research. This is an annual, running, competition; however, we anticipate making our next award decision in October of 2012. If you have applied previously, we still have your application under consideration.

For further information, contact Elizabeth Cottrell or Benjamin Andrews. The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity employer.

Benjamin J. Andrews

Curator, Research Geologist

Department of Mineral Sciences

National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution

phone: 202.633.1818

fax: 202.357.2476

http://mineralsciences.si.edu/staff/pages/andrews/index.html