VOLCANO: AGU session advertisement

AGU session advertisement
From: Ian Skilling <ipskilling@xxxxxxxxx>

We wish to draw your attention to our session entitled "Submarine volcanism and glaciovolcanism: similarities and differences" at the Fall Meeting of the AGU in San Francisco (December 3-7).  The deadline for abstracts is August 8th

http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/scientific-program/abstract-submission-policies/

The aim of this session is to foster collaboration between glacio- and marine volcanologists in order to better understand common problems relating to subaqueous lava flow emplacement and magma-water explosions.  Increased dialogue will also help pinpoint significant environment-specific controls.  Documenting and understanding these controls will aid discrimination of ancient volcanic deposits formed in ice-confined or ice-free environments on both Earth and Mars.

We are particularly interested in the following, especially if they include a comparison between the two environments:

(1) Emplacement processes and controls on the appearance of subaqueous lavas

(2) Confining pressure and other controls on magma-water explosions

(3) Transport and depositional processes of volcaniclastic deposits

(4) Geochemical studies of glass or its alteration products that aid discrimination of freshwater and marine environments

--
Dr. Ian Skilling
Senior Lecturer

email: iskillin@xxxxxxxxxx
for large files use gmail: ipskilling@xxxxxxxxx or dropbox
tel: +44 1443 654151
skype: ipskilling
Glamorgan Volcano Group (GVG) webpage: under construction