VOLANO: session for 2012 AGU V32 Monogenetic volcanism

session for 2012 AGU V32 Monogenetic volcanism
From: Ian Smith <ie.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We would like to draw your attention to the following session at the 2012 Fall AGU meeting

V32 Monogenetic volcanism

In monogenetic systems, the interplay of magma supply rate, source processes and tectonic setting dictates whether primitive or evolved magmas rise to eruption. Source and crustal parameters also control the occurrence of dispersed plumbing that produces long-lived volcano fields. Petrology, geophysics and volcanology help constrain source and ascent models. These small-scale magmatic systems lie at one end of the spectrum of magmatic associations and, despite their small size, are revealing important insights into how magmas are generated, what happens as they rise toward the surface and what controls their eruptive behavior.

We envisage a session that will foster broad discussion on the interpretation of geochemical, geophysical, geodynamic and volcanological observations of dispersed volcanism from volcanic field to individual volcano, and timescales from days to millions of years. We particularly want to foster discussion on the role of tectonic setting in producing monogenetic volcanoes and derive an integrated understanding of the drivers and hazards of distributed volcanism.

Accordingly, we invite the submission of abstracts that address any aspect of small-scale volcanic systems and anticipate that a multi-disciplinary approach will provide a stimulus to research into the dynamics and importance of small-scale magmatic systems in our understanding of how the Earth works.

contact

Ian Smith

University of Auckland

ie.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx