VOLCANO: social media in volcano communication

social media in volcano communication
From: Beth Bartel <bethbartel@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

1) I am looking for examples of the use of social media in volcano communication, both during crises and in general.  I have already hit up a few of you, and thanks for your replies.  I have that AVO sent out hourly updates via Twitter during the 2009 eruption of Redoubt, and I can see that both AVO and Monsterrat have active FB and Twitter feeds.

2) Is there any interactive tool for volcanoes like the USGS "Did You Feel It?" page for earthquakes?  (By interactive, I mean that users can submit information, not just that they can click around a page.)

I'm looking at ways to communicate info to the public and am particularly interested in the immediacy of social media and the potential for interactivity (2-way communication) that it provides.

Thanks!

Beth