VOLCANO: GSA Cordilleran Section field trip

GSA Cordilleran Section field trip
From: nancy riggs <nancy.riggs@xxxxxxx>

Dear VolcanoPhiles,

Following the Geological Society of America’s Cordilleran Section meeting, to be held in Querétaro, Mexico, from 29 – 31 March, 2012, Gerardo Carrasco-Nuñez and colleagues will lead Trip 8, Recent Volcanism and Hazards in the Eastern Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt, from 31 March – 2 April.  The cost is US$320, and the trip will start and end in Querétaro.

In this field trip we will examine examples of recent (late Pleistocene and Holocene) volcanism in the eastern Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt, where a diversity of volcanism and spectacular exposures can be seen. We will explore the complex pyroclastic succession and caldera-rim effusions of Los Humeros caldera volcano and geothermal field. We will also examine a very interesting vitrophyric rhyolite dome (Cerro Pizarro) and the structure and evolution of two contrasting maar volcanoes: Atexcac (a classic basaltic maar) and Cerro Pinto, a rhyolitic tuff ring-dome complex.

For more information please contact any of us, or go to http://www.geosociety.org/Sections/cord/2012mtg/index.htm for information about the meeting and registration.

Gerardo Carrasco-Nuñez (gerardoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Pablo Davila-Harris (pdavilah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Nancy Riggs (nancy.riggs@xxxxxxx)