VOLCANO: Volcanism and Tectonics in the Solar System - EGU2012

Volcanism and Tectonics in the Solar System - EGU2012
From: Thomas Platz <Thomas.Platz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

The main goal of our session is to provide a forum for Earth and Planetary scientists to engage them in broad and detailed discussions on volcanic and tectonic processes observed here on Earth and elsewhere in our solar system. We would like to encourage you to participate in this discussion by providing abstracts to our EGU2012 session "Volcanism and Tectonics in the Solar System" (TS1.2/GMPV4.14/PS2.10).

We would very much appreciate it if you forward this announcement to your
students and colleagues. Please be reminded that student support applications terminate on 17 December.

We are looking forward to meeting you in Vienna.

Best wishes,
Thomas Platz
on behalf of all convenors

TS1.2/GMPV4.14/PS2.10
Volcanism and Tectonics in the Solar System

Convener: T. Platz
Co-Conveners: M. Massironi , G. Caprarelli , P. K. Byrne , P. Allemand , H. Hiesinger

Volcanic and tectonic processes have profoundly shaped the surface of terrestrial planets and satellites. This session aims to compile all facets of volcanism, tectonism, and associated interactions observed in our solar system. By providing a forum for a broad range of discussions, these observations and interpretations will be investigated and reviewed in the light of our current understanding of related processes on Earth. Comparative studies and work on active volcanic/tectonic systems on Earth using multi-instrumental, remotely sensed, experimental, computational, and field data are welcome.
The session will address, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- geomorphology of volcanic edifices, deposits, vents, and fissures
- volcano-tectonic deformation and edifice growth and collapse
- tectonic structures, faulting, and fracturing processes
- intrusion processes, geometry, and associated faulting
- crustal stress and strain analysis
- volcaniclastic deposits and their implications for eruptive styles, rates, and frequency
- composition (spectral, meteoritic, etc.) and rheology of lava flows
- volatile release through eruptions and its impact on atmospheres
- melt generation, lava extrusion, and crustal deformation caused by large impactors
- cryovolcanism, mudvolcanism, and other comparative processes

Dr Thomas Platz
Freie Universität Berlin
Institute of Geological Sciences
Planetary Sciences and Remote Sensing