VOLCANO: Survey of beliefs about volcanoes

Survey of beliefs about volcanoes
From: "Amy Donovan" <amy.donovan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues

We are carrying out a survey of scientific and technical staff working in volcano observatories and volcano monitoring around the world. The purpose of this survey is to investigate participants' understanding of the volcanic risk from a particular volcano in their region, and their opinions about how local people understand that risk. The survey asks participants to estimate the parameters of likely eruptions and to provide their own assessments of the chances of these events occurring. They are then asked to assess how well they think that local people understand these risks and hazards. The survey is part of a larger project examining volcanic risk globally (the VOLDIES project funded by the European Research Council), and results will be anonymous. The survey has been endorsed by the World Organization of Volcano Observatories (WOVO).

We hope that this project will generate some exciting results for the volcano community, and make a major contribution to the understanding of global volcanic risk. We are asking all volcanologists and technical staff working at volcano observatories or in monitoring institutions to fill out the survey, which is at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MC6HFXK

It is available in English, French, Spanish and Italian. If you are involved in volcano monitoring, please consider taking the time to fill it out (roughly 20 minutes). If you have any comments, feedback or questions, please do send an email to amy.donovan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are extremely grateful to all those who participate and look forward to sharing the results!

With very best wishes

Prof Steve Sparks (University of Bristol, UK)
Prof Dick Eiser (University of Sheffield, UK)
Dr Amy Donovan (University of Sheffield, UK, and Girton College, Cambridge, UK)