VOLCANO: Call for abstracts: Volcanic pollution session at the Nordic Geological Winter Meeting

Call for abstracts: Volcanic pollution session at the Nordic Geological Winter Meeting
From: Evgenia Ilyinskaya <evgenia@xxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

The 30th Nordic Geological Winter Meeting will be held in Reykjavík, Iceland, January 9th-12th 2012. We would like to draw your attention to our session on "Volcanic pollution: its environmental and atmospheric effects". The language of the meeting is English and we welcome contributions from all international colleagues. There will be a possibility of going on excursions to geological sites in south and southwest Iceland. The conference will take place in Iceland's newly opened magnificent concert hall Harpa (www.harpa.is) at the harbor in downtown Reykjavík.

The abstract deadline is October 1st, and the early registration deadline (at discounted rates) is on November 1st. Please log on to conference website for details http://www.jfi.is/ngw_2012.

We hope to see you in Reykjavík,
Very best wishes,

Sigfús Johnsen and Evgenia Ilyinskaya (conveners)

THEME 7: [STh] A tribute to Sigurdur Thorarinsson
Session organizers: Thorvaldur Thordarson and Gudrun Larsen

Session [SÞ 4] Volcanic pollution: its environmental and atmospheric effects
Session conveners: Sigfús Johnsen and Evgenia Ilyinskaya
Volcanic pollution from Icelandic eruptions has impacted the atmosphere and the environment with significant socio-economic consequences on local to hemispheric scales. These impacts have been produced by explosive basaltic to rhyolitic eruptions as well as by large flood lava eruptions, as has been extensively recorded in ice core, paleoclimate proxy and historical accounts. We invite contributons dealing with all aspects of volcano-climate/environment interactions.