VOLCANO: Call for Abstracts (Due 1 August 2011): 92nd AMS Conference: The Impact and Meteorological Challenges of Volcanic Eruptions

Call for Abstracts (Due 1 August 2011): 92nd AMS Conference: The Impact and Meteorological Challenges of Volcanic Eruptions
From: David J Schneider <djschneider@xxxxxxxx>

On behalf of the organizers of the  28th Conference on Interactive
Information Processing Systems (IIPS) at the 92nd American Meteorological
Society Annual Conference, I would like to bring your attention to
"Special International Applications Session: The Impact and Meteorological
Challenges of Volcanic Eruptions".  The eruption of Eyjafjallajökull
Volcano in Iceland during the spring of 2010 (and more recently volcanic
eruptions in Iceland, Chile, and Eritrea) has presented challenges to the
meteorological community in  Europe, Africa, South America, Australia, and
New Zealand.  At the 91st AMS Annual Conference in Seattle, we held a
special session on this subject; there were four excellent and
well-received papers and the attendance at that session set a record for
International Applications Sessions. We look forward to receiving a
greater number of papers for this session. We are specifically inviting
papers covering the observing, forecasting and warning to the public and
especially to the airline industry regarding the effects of the eruptions
of Eyjafjallajökull, Grimsvötn, Puyehue-Cordón Caulle, Nabro and other
volcanoes around the world. Contributions from the fields of meteorology,
volcanology, remote sensing, volcanic ash dispersion modeling,
 atmospheric science, and aviation operations are encouraged.

Session Chairs:
John Lincoln, jlincoln@xxxxxxxxxxx
Howard Diamond, Howard.Diamond@xxxxxxxx
Erik Andersson, Erik.Andersson@xxxxxxxxx

The AMS meeting will be held  22-26 January 2012 in New Orleans.
http://www.ametsoc.org/meet/annual/index.html

Abstracts are due: 1 August 2011

To submit an abstract:
Go to the website: http://ams.confex.com/ams/92Annual/oasys.epl
1. Select 28th Conference on Interactive Information Processing Systems
(IIPS)
2. Select Special International Applications Session: The Impact and
Meteorological Challenges of Volcanic Eruptions
3. Follow the directions.