VOLCANO: Goldschmidt 2011 Session: Rates of Magmatic Processes

**********************************************************************************************************************
Goldschmidt 2011 Session: Rates of Magmatic Processes
From: Urs Schaltegger <Urs.Schaltegger@xxxxxxxx>
**********************************************************************************************************************

Dear friends and colleagues
We kindly invite you to participate in a session focussed on the temporal
quantification of magmatic processes in the crust during the upcoming
Goldschmidt Conference 2011 (August 14-19, 2011 in Prague, Czech Republic)
05g: Duration, Tempo and Rates of Magmatic Processes in the Crust
Convenors: Urs Schaltegger and Othmar Müntener
Keynote:  Catherine Annen
The understanding of the timing of magmatic processes has strongly developed
with the advent of high-precision dating and high-resolution elemental and
isotopic analysis of magmatic minerals. Crucial for accurate interpretation
of temporal data is the understanding of accessory mineral behaviour during
the evolution of a magmatic system. This session should provide a forum,
where new results can be presented and discussed that shed light on the
duration, the periodicity and the rates, how plutons and batholiths are
built within the crust.
One of the aims of our session is to bring together different approaches to
resolve time issues, such a numerical and thermal models, and high precision
dating to advance the understanding of rates of processes in young and
ancient magmatic systems.
Abstract submission was opened on February 15, deadline is on April 15.,
2011.
We intend to put together an exciting selection of talks that highlight the
fact that the temporal understanding of magmatic processes has made
tremendous advances in the past few years. We sollicit contributions that
cover all geological settings from subrecent to ancient.
With best regards,
The conveners

Prof. U. Schaltegger
Section des Sciences de la Terre et de l¹Environnement
Université de Genève
rue des Maraîchers 13
CH-1205 Genève
urs.schaltegger@xxxxxxxx
http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/mineral/

Prof. O. Müntener
Institute of Mineralogy and Geochemistry
University of Lausanne
Anthropole
CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
othmar.muntener@xxxxxxx