VOLCANO: Goldschmidt 2011 Session: Plumes, Mid-ocean Ridges and Plates

Goldschmidt 2011 Session: Plumes, Mid-ocean Ridges and Plates
From: Beier Christoph <Christoph.Beier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

this is an invitation to submit your contribution to the "Plumes, Mid-ocean Ridges and Plates" session (see description below) at the Goldschmidt Meeting 2011 held August 14-19 in Prague, Czech (http://www.goldschmidt2011.org). The Keynote speaker is Cornelia Class (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory). Please note that Abstract submission is between 1st February and 15th April.

Please feel free to distribute this information to colleagues that may be interested. We look forward to a broad participation in this session.

Sincerely,
Kaj Hoernle, Anthony Koppers, William Sager, Christoph Beier

Session description:
Establishing the relative roles of plate-driven and plume-driven processes in the generation of mantle melting anomalies requires integration of geochemical, geophysical and geological observations to test models. We seek contributions that try to disentangle the effects of plate tectonics, mantle temperature, compositional heterogeneity and flow field in controlling mantle melting at mid-ocean ridges and within plates (seamounts, hotspot tracks and Large Igneous Provinces) on oceanic and continental crust/lithopshere. We encourage submissions from both the observational and modeling perspectives of these types of concepts.