VOLCANO: SciNews: A new resource for incorporating current events into the classroom

SciNews: A new resource for incorporating current events into the classroom
From: Erin DiMaggio <erin.dimaggio@xxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I would like to introduce you to the education outreach project that I am working on as the focus of my ASU/NASA Space Grant. Although this outreach project (aimed at 7-12th graders) may not be directly useful to you, it is my hope that you might spread the word to educators that you know that might be interested.  The project is called SciNews and all of the materials created are available for download via a website I created, hosted through the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University:  http://sese.asu.edu/teacher-resources

The purpose of SciNews is to provide middle and high school teachers timely, pre-packaged lessons on a science current event (such as an oil spill, earthquake, or shuttle launch) that are short (~15 min), easy to implement, and align to state standards. Materials might include a slide show, videos, maps, photographs, or KML files for use in Google Earth. Each current event lesson has an associated PDF document that contains a brief overview of the event and lesson, as well as a map, photo(s), and standards targeted (the .pdf overview is in pink text under each lesson on the website). Although using current events in the classroom is not new, my goal here is to provide simple and short lessons that associate ‘textbook’ concepts with real events in the news while allowing for class discussion.

Currently, over 150 educators are signed up to the listserv from 25 states and 6 countries...however, I would like to reach many more. Since SciNews is just underway (first listserv emails went out in Jan. 2011), I ask that you please spread the word to other science educators that might be interested!
I have created a listserv to send out updates when new materials are posted and ready for download. I send out ~1 email every two-three weeks.
**To Sign Up for SciNews please send an email with your name, affiliation, and email address to: emailSCINEWS@xxxxxxx **
**The newest issue of SciNews (Issue 8) was posted on Feb 15th and it is about NASA's Kepler Mission identifying 54 exoplanets that appear to be in the habitable zone.
Visit the SciNews website to download this Issue or check out the other 7 archived (including 2 volcano related lessons): http://sese.asu.edu/teacher-resources
Thank You!
Erin DiMaggio