VOLCANO: IUGG 2011 Session Reminder: J-V02: Forecasting and Monitoring Volcanic Eruptions

 IUGG 2011 Session Reminder: J-V02: Forecasting and Monitoring Volcanic Eruptions
From: Gill Jolly <G.Jolly@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

A reminder to consider sending an abstract to the following IAVCEI symposia that will take place during the IUGG 2011 conference in Melbourne (28 June-7 July):

 Session J-V02: Forecasting and Monitoring Volcanic Eruptions

Organiser: IAVCEI
Co-sponsors: IASPEI, IAG, IAGA
Lead Convenors: Setsuya Nakada (Japan), Chris Newhall (Singapore), Freysteinn Sigmundsson (Iceland), Gill Jolly (New Zealand), Joan Marti (Spain)
Keynote speakers: Servando De la Cruz (Mexico), Warner Marzocchi (Italy)

Scope: Forecasting future eruptions based on monitoring and observation data is an  important issue for the volcanological community including IAVCEI. Anomalies are usually detectable when monitoring or observation with sufficient instruments is carried out, and the onset of eruptions can often be forecast.  However, false alarms remain a problem, and the style and duration of an eruption are still hard to forecast.  In addition to monitoring data, forecasting may use models of volcanic behavior, and always refers to geological and historical records of eruptions of the volcano in question and its analogues.  We still need a forecasting strategy for super eruptions, which will surely occur, threatening serious damage to human communities in the global scale. We seek papers that will deal with forecasting, monitoring and observation of recent and future eruptions, including geophysical, geochemical and geological methods. Papers of forecasting based on physical and chemical models are also welcomed. We are particularly interested in papers reporting experiences from recent eruptions.

Information: http://www.iugg2011.com/default.asp

Call for Abstracts Close: Tuesday 1 February 2011