VOLCANO: IUGG 2011 Session: V10 The dynamics of pyroclastic density currents

IUGG 2011 Session: V10 The dynamics of pyroclastic density currents
From: Olivier Roche <o.roche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

IUGG 2011, 28 June-7 July, Melbourne, Australia (www.iugg2011.com).

Session V10: The dynamics of pyroclastic density currents.

Dear colleagues,

We would like to encourage you to contribute with a presentation to the session on "The dynamics of pyroclastic density currents" (V10) at the IUGG Conference (call for Abstracts closes 1 February 2011).

Numerical and physical modeling have greatly enhanced our understanding of the dynamics of pyroclastic density currents, and may eventually play a critical role in volcanic hazard assessment by aiding prediction of inundation area over complex topography. However, demonstrating this predictive capacity remains a significant challenge. Nonetheless, the physical relevance and practical utility of quantitative models of volcanic processes is continually improving via increasing model complexity and precision, while the most progress may result from formulation of constitutive relationships and development of new physical theory through laboratory experiments, along with comparison and validation against natural events, especially those documented by detailed and continuous field measurements. In particular, deposit analysis, both in the field and in the lab, along with coupled remote sensing approaches are essential to strengthen physical models. We invite talks on this topic, and strongly encourage those which combine field, lab and/or modeling approaches.

Keynote Speakers: Sharon Allen, Eliza Calder

Convenors: Amanda Clarke, Tim Druitt, Jo Dufek, Olivier Roche