IUGG 2011 Session: V17 Planetary Volcanism: what's different out there, what's new, and what are we learning?

From: "Giovanni Leone" <giovanni.leone@xxxxxx>

We encourage researchers to submit abstracts for the following symposium at the IUGG Conference, 28 June-7 July 2011, Melbourne, Australia.

IUGG Symposium:  Planetary Volcanism: what's different out there, what's new, and what are we learning?

Lead Convenors: Giovanni Leone (United Kingdom), Tracey Gregg (United States of America), Ellen Stofan, Suzanne Smrekar (United States of America), Ashley Davies (United States of America)

Scope: This session will focus on state of the art and new views and concepts concerning the volcanic processes occurring across the Solar System. From cryovolcanism on Titan, Europa, and Enceladus to active explosive volcanism on Earth and Io, from relatively recent lavas on Venus to older volcanic edifices on Mars and basaltic plains on Mercury and the Moon, and even plutonic intrusions on asteroid 4 Vesta, volcanism is widespread and exhibits different eruptive styles. Data returned from many spacecraft have shown a wealth of different volcanic landforms shaped by the peculiar environmental conditions at the time of their formation where gravity, role of volatiles, magma compositions, and different atmospheric pressures played and play a fundamental role. Geological histories, morphological studies and numerical modelling can yield important constraints to better understand planetary volcanism in view of the common and different processes occurring on Earth. Comparative volcanology with an interdisciplinary approach is the best way to achieve such a goal.

Abstracts are due 17 January 2011.  Information can be found at www.iugg2011.com.