VOLCANO: PhD Scholarships in New Zealand to study magma movement and time varying seismic properties--search reopened Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand

PhD Scholarships in New Zealand to study magma movement and time varying seismic properties--search reopened
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
From: Martha Savage <Martha.Savage@xxxxxxxxx>

Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
PhD Scholarship to study magma movement and time varying seismic properties-reopened.

We have been awarded a three-year grant to study time varying seismic properties related to volcanic areas in New Zealand and several other volcanoes worldwide, including Japan, the U.S. and several island volcanoes.  This project will develop new methods of monitoring volcanoes using novel sources of seismic energy: repeated explosions, repeating earthquakes and the Earth's background hum. By relating spatial and temporal changes in seismic wave properties to other indicators of stress around volcanoes and quantitatively modeling these changes, we will extend our understanding of how volcanoes work and lead the drive towards predictive monitoring tools.  We are seeking a PhD student with a background in Geophysics, Math, Physics or Geology with a strong mathematical and/or computing ability to start as soon as possible.

If you are interested in this project, please contact Martha Savage and also apply to the Victoria University of Wellington, following instructions at http://www.victoria.ac.nz/fgr/prospective-phds/applying.aspx
.  The application deadline is 1 March 2010 and the application is free of charge.  Successful scholarship students from any country will receive a NZ$21,000 stipend and will not have to pay tuition fees.  Further details including the grant proposal are available upon request to Professor Martha Savage, martha.savage@xxxxxxxxx.