VOLCANO: Special Volume: Advances in 3D Imaging and Analysis of Geomaterials

Special Volume: Advances in 3D Imaging and Analysis of Geomaterials
From: Guilherme Gualda <guigualda@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello Everybody,

We would like to call your attention to and extend an invitation to contribute to a special volume on 3D Imaging and Analysis of Geomaterials, to be published in Geosphere (see description below). A quick note expressing your interest in contributing to the volume would be much appreciated. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Guil Gualda (g.gualda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Don Baker (don.baker@xxxxxxxxx)
Margherita Polacci (polacci@xxxxxxxxxx)

Advances in 3D Imaging and Analysis of Geomaterials
(Special Volume to be published in Geosphere)

For more than a century, the analysis of rocks and other Earth materials has been based on observations and measurements in two dimensions using the petrographic microscope and more recently the electron microscope. Observing 3D objects using 2D sections inherintly limits our ability to understand these materials. In recent years, several techniques have emerged that allow for imaging Earth materials in three dimensions, including x-ray, neutron, and electron tomography, confocal microscopy, and serial sectioning. We invite contributions addressing advances in imaging and analysis of Earth materials in three dimensions, including applications that make use of these techniques to unravel relevant geological processes. We request submissions by October 31, 2009. For author information, see: http://www.geosociety.org/pubs/geosphere/gsGuide.htm .