AGU Toronto V05: Ore Genesis and Volcano Instability

From: Edgardo Cañón-Tapia <ecanon@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear All

We would like to invite you to participate in the session that we are
organizing to be held during the oncoming AGU 2009 Join Assembly in
Toronto, Canada, May 24- 27 (the official description can be found at:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja09/).

V05: Ore Genesis and Volcano Instability

Large mature composite volcanoes and their shallow basement are privileged
loci of hydrothermal ore genesis. Such volcanoes become inherently unstable
as they grow and mature. Hydrothermal activity inside the edifice is one of
the main instability factors. Other factors of instability include the
nature of the basement and the local tectonics. Re-equilibration of a
highly unstable edifice might be achieved by both sudden (e.g. sector
collapse and edifice failure) and gradual (e.g. volcano-basement
interaction such as volcano spreading) processes. Both kinds of processes
may have profound effects on the volcano hydrothermal system and related
ore genesis. Unlike the relationship between edifice instability and
tectonics, which has been the subject of many research efforts during the
last two decades, the link between processes related to volcano instability
and ore genesis remain poorly understood at present. We feel that this
situation stems in part from the lack of communication existing between
workers across the tectonics and ore- related communities.

Noting that our session focuses on the interplay between ore genesis,
volcano instability and tectonics in an interdisciplinary approach,
contributions addressing wider topics at the fringes of volcanology,
tectonics and ore genesis will be most welcomed.

Abstract deadline:  4 March 2009

Conveners:  Edgardo Cañón-Tapia
CICESE
PO Box 434843