AGU Joint Assembly Call For Abstracts on Intraplate Volcanism Session

From: Amanda Hintz <arl6@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,
       We would like to call to your attention to a Volcanology
session at the upcoming AGU Joint Assembly in Toronto, Canada this
May. The session entitled " Intraplate Volcanic Fields: From Source to
Eruption and Techniques for Identifying Patterns of Behavior" will
present current research from a variety of interdisciplinary
scientists. Please read our description below and consider submitting
your research to our session. Abstracts may be submitted now until
March 4th.

Session Description:
Continental intraplate volcanic fields are characterized by a wide
array of eruptive styles and products that are widely distributed
across the continents in a variety of tectonic regimes. These volcanic
fields occur in virtually all tectonic environments, from extensional
(Black Rock Volcanic Field, Utah, USA) to compressional (Michoacan-
Guanajuato Volcanic Field, Mexico) and strike-slip (San Quinta n
Volcanic Field, Baja, Mexico). A field may span from several hundred
square kilometers to more than several thousand square kilometers and
may include anywhere from several volcanic vents to hundreds. This
session is dedicated to increasing the fundamental understanding of
the patterns of behavior in intraplate volcanic fields through
field-based geologic, geophysical, and geochemical investigations.
Also of interest are the development of analogue and mathematical
models of magmatic, tectonic, and eruption processes, as well as the
application of statistics and pattern recognition techniques to
volcanic data processing. We hope that the contributions made to this
session will aid in our understanding of intraplate source regions and
augment our ability to forecast eruptive behavior to mitigate hazards.

AGU Joint Assembly Website: http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja09/

Regards,
Amanda Hintz
arl6@xxxxxxxxxxx