October 6th Eruption of Soputan: Clarification/Update on the Plume Height

Hi all,

Regarding the 6 October eruption of Soputan, I would like to make a
clarification/update on the plume height

Bulletin of the Global Volcanism Network
Volume 33, Number 9, September 2008
http://www.volcano.si.edu/

The next episode of seismic activity was on 6 October. Loud noises
were heard and observers noted Strombolian activity that ejected
incandescent material 100-150 m from the crater. CVGHM noted that a
thick gray ash plume rose 2.8 km in altitude. (According to the Darwin
VAAC, analysis of satellite imagery suggested that the ash plume rose
to the much greater altitude of 7.6 km and drifted W.)

Satellite analysis of the initial daytime eruption supported the ash
plume height given by CVGHM. Eruptive activity peaked overnight (when
the observer would not have been able to see the extent of the ash).
On post-analysis of satellite imagery, I have estimated the overnight
ash plume rose to a height of around 13km.

Regards,
Rebecca Patrick

Acting Senior Meteorologist
Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre