AGU Session V38- Minerals, Inclusions and Volcanic Processes: Crystal-scale records of magma dynamics

From: Fidel Costa <fcosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

we would like to draw your attention to the session:

''V38: Minerals, Inclusions and Volcanic Processes: Crystal-scale
records of magma dynamics''

which will happen at the AGU, in San Francisco 15 – 19 December 2008.

Abstract deadline is 10th of September 2008. Please see description of
the session below.

We hope to see you all there!

best regards,

Mary Reid
Northern Arizona University
Department of Geology
Flagstaff, AZ, USA  86011
928-523-7200
mary.reid@xxxxxxx

Kari Cooper
U.C. Davis
Department of Geology
Davis, CA, USA  95616
kmcooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fidel Costa
Institut de Ciences de la Terra Jaume Almera, CSIC
Barcelona, ESP  08028
fcosta@xxxxxxxxxxx

Minerals, Inclusions and Volcanic Processes: Crystal-scale records of
magma dynamics

Minerals and their inclusions provide a valuable archive of volcanic
processes, including the history and dynamics of magmatic evolution.
Building from the theme of a pre-meeting RiMG shortcourse, the goal of
this session is to bring together scientists who use different methods
to understand how information about magma dynamics can be extracted
from the crystal record and in particular to explore how crystal
records can be used to distinguish crystals and crystal populations in
the same magmas that may record different histories.  We are
interested in contributions from those who date mineral aggregates and
individual crystals and estimate residence times from U-series
disequilibria and diffusion profiles, use isotopes to identify magma
batches and processes, and use crystal chemistry, imaging, and
isotopes to evaluate open system processing and untangle the evolution
of co-mingled (autocrysts/phenocrysts, antecrysts, xenocrysts)
crystals. We are especially interested in submissions that combine
multiple techniques to address the sometimes disparate origins of
crystals in magmas.