EGU 2009: Conveners Wanted for Volcanic Hazards Session

From: JH Gottsmann <J.Gottsmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

the European Geoscience Union is in the process of designing the skeleton
program for the EGU General Assembly 2009 to be held in Vienna (Austria)
from 19-24 April 2009. As secretary for volcanic hazards of the Natural
Hazards division [the Natural Hazard division is among the largest within
EGU],  I invite you to consider acting as convener of the following session:
"Volcanic threat: hazard identification, assessment and risk mitigation".

<http://www.cosis.net/members/meetings/skeleton/view.php?p_id=368>

At the moment only a single fairly open session is proposed. Past
experience has shown that we usually have to merge several smaller sessions
into one general session. This year I propose to go the other way around.
Ideally I would like to find  4 conveners whose combined experience spreads
both the physical sciences as well as the applied hazard and risk dimension.

If you like to act as convener for the above session or like to suggest an
alternative session please contact me ASAP.

Your duty as convener is to advertise the session and to attract as many
contributions as possible. Past experience has shown that this process
takes some time and commitment from your side. My job as secretary is to
assist you wherever needed.

If we have  enough topical contributions we can split the main session into
smaller sessions, however  if you feel right away that you can attract 25+
contributions to sustain a separate session under Volcanic Hazards then I
am happy to take this under consideration and upload a separate session
proposal.

Please feel free to circulate this email among your fellow colleagues.

Best regards,
  Jo